Martinez scores MLS-leading 14th goal, Atlanta United wins
European Football Headlines
- Torrent wins in NYCFC debut, 2-1 over Toronto FC
- Gressel ties it in Atlanta United's 1-1 draw with Timbers
- The Latest: Portugal, Spain want routine wins to advance
- DJ Calvin Harris stoked by Harry Kane nod to 'One Kiss'
- Pekerman dedicates Colombia's win to Carlos Sanchez
- Falcao scores, Colombia beats Poland 3-0 at World Cup
- Sweden player condemns racist abuse after World Cup loss
- Sources: Salah considering retiring from national team
- What do Costa Rica, Panama early exits say about US soccer?
- AP PHOTOS: England grand, Poland gone on Day 11 of World Cup
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Josef Martinez scored his MLS-leading 14th goal of the season, Hector Villalba added a goal in the 82nd minute and Atlanta United beat the Columbus Crew 2-0 on Wednesday night.
Atlanta (10-3-3), the Supporters' Shield leader, handed Columbus (7-4-6) its second loss in its last 16 home games. United also snapped the Crew's nine-game unbeaten streak.
Martinez opened the scoring in the 30th minute by heading home Ezequiel Barco's corner kick. Martinez was injured on the play and was replaced at halftime. Martinez has six goals in the last four games.
Villalba, a second-half sub returning from injury, finished off Atlanta's counter attack by rolling a shot under goalkeeper Zack Steffen.
Steffen had a 525-minute shutout streak snapped. The runs was the eighth longest in MLS history.
Updated June 13, 2018